Thursday, August 15, 2013

Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes (Knees and Toes) Amy

Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes  (Knees and Toes) Amy
 
Remember that song we sang as children or we sang to our children?   Little did I know that it would help me prepare to leave my house every morning. 
 
The style of dress for women is much more conservative here than in the US.  Some women are veiled, some are fully covered  (though they are probably foreigners here) and many dress as we do except that bare shoulders and knees are not shown.
 
To start from the top:
 
Head:  I have to check if I have my hat everyday.  The sun is really bright here and my South Carolina highlights are soon to be very brassy if I forget my hat.  Also the streets and air are dusty and it keeps my hair clean.
 
Shoulders:  are they covered? Easily 1/3 of my South Carolina shirts are not appropriate for the streets of Cairo.  I need to wear a sweater or scarf to walk to school and then can take it off.  
 
Knees are like shoulders.  I have no idea why, but as a general rule it would be offensive to show a full knee.  My skirt was too short today and I could sense it, though no one said anything.   Again, most of my South Carolina summer skirts and shorts are bordering on offensive.
 
Toes – this is not the place for high-heeled shoes – if you are a walker. The streets are dusty and uneven. Some buildings have sidewalks and some do not so you are up and down all the time and it would be brutal in cute high-heeled shoes. 
 
 
Anna and I are getting creative in combining our wardrobes and creating outfits that will be acceptable.   
 

3 comments:

  1. David, Enjoyed reading about your adventures. Glad to know all is safe and sound! We're gearing up and you wouldn't recognize your room, all girlie:):) Take care! Tell Anna those desserts might just beat Gracie's icing:):) Hello to all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so delighted to hear that you are safe and sound. I have been wondering about you and praying that you were safe. I can't wait to read the whole blog! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post Amy...made my day.

    ReplyDelete